Hi all,

Sorry we’ve been a bit absent in the Comicogs forums lately. As you’ve probably noticed, splitting our attention across Comicogs, Bookogs, Filmogs, Posterogs, Gearogs and VinylHub has resulted in none of these databases and communities getting the attention they really need, forcing us to rethink the best way for us to manage these sites.

Right now that means we’re focusing on how the sites connect to and build on the strengths of Discogs, mainly through improving our offering of music books, films, and posters. Unfortunately that also means comic-specific features and database improvements are not on our roadmap for the foreseeable future. We’ll still be fixing critical bugs on Comicogs, and the site will continue to benefit from developments that apply to the general structure of the -ogs sites (like Collection, Wantlist, and Community improvements) but most of the features recently requested here are not on our roadmap.

I’m sorry to be the bearer of bad news, I know this will come as a disappointment to many here. We really appreciate all the hard work that’s gone into making the Comicogs database and community what it is.

We don’t really know what the future holds for Comicogs. Although there are no plans to iterate on Comicogs at the moment, it will continue to exist as it is. We have no plans to take it down, so if you’d like to continue using it you’re very welcome to.

If you have any questions, please feel free to comment here.

Thanks,
Comicogs Staff

It is a pity. But maybe there was not enough thought given when comicogs was designed? With so many flaws (more than bookogs) many users are put off contributing here. Then management decides there is not enough action here and abandon the db to whatever users want to do with it.
Not enough staff/developers resources, very shaky design, not many users, then even less resources allocated. How to break this vicious circle?
I have put thousands of hours into this db, catalogued my full collection, made many suggestions for improvement.
So it is frustrating. I hope management will rethink its business model for comicogs, allocate more resources and get the db and marketplace finally take off.

Hi tam89rds,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I totally understand your frustration and apologise again that it's not better news. The considerable role you've played in building Comicogs hasn't gone unnoticed, we really appreciate your help and everything you've done here.

Your observations all sound pretty correct; it was optimistic thinking we could replicate Discogs for comics (at the same time as books, films, gear, posters, and record stores) with a small team and limited resources. For that reason we've decided to de-prioritize a few things, which regretably includes Comicogs.

The database will still be here and we will address bugs, but unfortunately there are no plans to allocate more resources to it.

Kind regards,
Jess

Thanks for the reply Jess,
Could we at least link comicogs and discogs the same way as bookogs and discogs are linked? Hundreds of comic artists are already on discogs, for visual credits but also as band members... would be a nice way to appeal to more comicogs contributors...

Ex:https://www.discogs.com/artist/651569-Robert-Crumb

Robert Crumb's bookogs page is linked, but the comicogs page remains with the other outside links...

Jess, I too am rather disappointed in the results. I have also devoted many hours ot time to adding my collection as well as credits, photos, links, images, etc. While I had no plans to sell any of my collection at this time I liked the idea of the database where all my collection is contained, however without the image of the cover. I have an excel sheet with my collection so it's not as though all is lost for me.
I plan to continue to add my comics in hopes that the future will change. If it all the sudden just disappers then that would be more upsetting. Hopefully the future will look brighter for Comicogs.
Matt LoPinto

Could we at least link comicogs and discogs the same way as bookogs and discogs are linked?

Adding Comicogs tabs to Discogs pages isn't in our plans at the moment. I know there is a fair bit of crossover between Discogs and Comicogs, but as it's not to the same extent as books, films, and posters we can't prioritise it.

mlopinto wrote:

Jess, I too am rather disappointed in the results. I have also devoted many hours ot time to adding my collection as well as credits, photos, links, images, etc. While I had no plans to sell any of my collection at this time I liked the idea of the database where all my collection is contained, however without the image of the cover. I have an excel sheet with my collection so it's not as though all is lost for me.
I plan to continue to add my comics in hopes that the future will change. If it all the sudden just disappers then that would be more upsetting. Hopefully the future will look brighter for Comicogs.
Matt LoPinto

I totally understand, Matt. As with tam89rds, your contributions to Comicogs have been instrumental in really improving the database and we're really grateful for the time and effort you've put in here. Just as a reassurance, Comicogs is not going to disappear, it will still be here and remain useable but we won't be dedicating much development time on it.

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.