https://www.comicogs.com/wiki/publisher doesn't really give much away ;-) When there are multiple publishers mentioned, how should we distinguish between 'Publisher' and 'Published By'?

I've entered issues that have a comic group logo on the front cover (or maybe two) and then inside both an individual and a company are given as publishers. What is the guidance please? The wiki page is a little light on this subject ;-)

I've run into this as well.
Here's what I asked before...

"What about the difference between indicia publisher, cover brand, and printer? Using Disney-licensed works, we have for the indicia, K.K Publishing, which was a subsidiary of Western Publishing, who licensed the content from Disney, and on the cover, Dell, who actually printed and sold it. When Western Publishing decided to end their relationship with Dell, and move publishing in-house, they used Both the Gold Key and Whitman brands, depending on the distribution channel.

Some other titles were this way as well, using only some of the titles I've entered, Twilight Zone, Voyage To The Bottom of The Sea, The Time Tunnel, were published by K.K, using the Gold Key brand, and I'm sure there are others. I don't know if this is a common issue with superhero comics, and the like, but with regards to the Disney comics, the choice of the cover brand is a fairly important distinction, as the older Dell titles are considered more desirable. Does having separate fields for cover brand seem like a possibility?"

No one ever answered me on that one, so for "publisher" field, I entered the publishing company as it was stated in the indicia. As to the actual name of a publisher, I don't consider this to be particularly important, but it can be entered in the credits section. In addition, I noted in the notes section if the cover brand did not match the indicia publisher (a common issue with Dell and Gold Key issues)

When there are multiple publishers mentioned, how should we distinguish between 'Publisher' and 'Published By'?

Sorry for the lack of info there, DrBoots - we'll get that Wiki page fleshed out a little. As jnelson0331 mentions, you can enter the 'Published By' role in the credits, while 'Publisher' is it's own field.

No one ever answered me on that one, so for "publisher" field, I entered the publishing company as it was stated in the indicia.

Sorry you didn't previously get an answer to this, jnelson0331. Personally I would always favor what's printed on the indicia, but I'm happy to hear if the community has a differing opinion on this.

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.